(Pages 1 to 6 of the manuscript, containing chapters 1
- 3, are lost. The extant text starts on page 7...)
. . . Will matter then be destroyed or not?
22) The Savior said, All nature, all formations,
all creatures exist in and with one another, and they will
be resolved again into their own roots.
23) For the nature of matter is resolved into
the roots of its own nature alone.
24) He who has ears to hear, let him hear.
25) Peter said to him, Since you have explained
everything to us, tell us this also: What is the sin of the
26) The Savior said There is no sin, but it
is you who make sin when you do the things that are like the
nature of adultery, which is called sin.
27) That is why the Good came into your midst,
to the essence of every nature in order to restore it to its
28) Then He continued and said, That is why
you become sick and die, for you are deprived of the one who
can heal you.
29) He who has a mind to understand, let him
30) Matter gave birth to a passion that has
no equal, which proceeded from something contrary to nature.
Then there arises a disturbance in its whole body.
31) That is why I said to you, Be of good courage,
and if you are discouraged be encouraged in the presence of
the different forms of nature.
32) He who has ears to hear, let him hear.
33) When the Blessed One had said this, He greeted
them all,saying, Peace be with you. Receive my peace unto
34) Beware that no one lead you astray saying
Lo here or lo there! For the Son of Man is within you.
35) Follow after Him!
36) Those who seek Him will find Him.
37) Go then and preach the gospel of the Kingdom.
38) Do not lay down any rules beyond what I
appointed you, and do not give a law like the lawgiver lest
you be constrained by it.
39) When He said this He departed.
1) But they were grieved. They wept greatly, saying, How shall
we go to the Gentiles and preach the gospel of the Kingdom
of the Son of Man? If they did not spare Him, how will they
2) Then Mary stood up, greeted them all, and
said to her brethren, Do not weep and do not grieve nor be
irresolute, for His grace will be entirely with you and will
3) But rather, let us praise His greatness,
for He has prepared us and made us into Men.
4) When Mary said this, she turned their hearts
to the Good, and they began to discuss the words of the Savior.
5) Peter said to Mary, Sister we know that the
Savior loved you more than the rest of woman.
6) Tell us the words of the Savior which you
remember which you know, but we do not, nor have we heard
7) Mary answered and said, What is hidden from
you I will proclaim to you.
8) And she began to speak to them these words:
I, she said, I saw the Lord in a vision and I said to Him,
Lord I saw you today in a vision. He answered and said to
9) Blessed are you that you did not waver at
the sight of Me. For where the mind is there is the treasure.
10) I said to Him, Lord, how does he who sees
the vision see it, through the soul or through the spirit?
11) The Savior answered and said, He does not
see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind
that is between the two that is what sees the vision and it
(pages 11 - 14 are missing from the manuscript)
. . . it.
10) And desire said, I did not see you descending,
but now I see you ascending. Why do you lie since you belong
11) The soul answered and said, I saw you. You
did not see me nor recognize me. I served you as a garment
and you did not know me.
12) When it said this, it (the soul) went away
13) Again it came to the third power, which
is called ignorance.
14) The power questioned the soul, saying, Where
are you going? In wickedness are you bound. But you are bound;
do not judge!
15) And the soul said, Why do you judge me,
although I have not judged?
16) I was bound, though I have not bound.
17) I was not recognized. But I have recognized
that the All is being dissolved, both the earthly things and
18) When the soul had overcome the third power,
it went upwards and saw the fourth power, which took seven
19) The first form is darkness, the second desire,
the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death,
the fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish
wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom. These
are the seven powers of wrath.
20) They asked the soul, Whence do you come
slayer of men, or where are you going, conqueror of space?
21) The soul answered and said, What binds me
has been slain, and what turns me about has been overcome,
22) and my desire has been ended, and ignorance
23) In a aeon I was released from a world, and
in a Type from a type, and from the fetter of oblivion which
24) From this time on will I attain to the rest
of the time, of the season, of the aeon, in silence.
1) When Mary had said this, she fell silent, since it was
to this point that the Savior had spoken with her.
2) But Andrew answered and said to the brethren,
Say what you wish to say about what she has said. I at least
do not believe that the Savior said this. For certainly these
teachings are strange ideas.
3) Peter answered and spoke concerning these
4) He questioned them about the Savior: Did
He really speak privately with a woman and not openly to us?
Are we to turn about and all listen to her? Did He prefer
her to us?
5) Then Mary wept and said to Peter, My brother
Peter, what do you think? Do you think that I have thought
this up myself in my heart, or that I am lying about the Savior?
6) Levi answered and said to Peter, Peter you
have always been hot tempered.
7) Now I see you contending against the woman
like the adversaries.
8) But if the Savior made her worthy, who are
you indeed to reject her? Surely the Savior knows her very
9) That is why He loved her more than us. Rather
let us be ashamed and put on the perfect Man, and separate
as He commanded us and preach the gospel, not laying down
any other rule or other law beyond what the Savior said.
10) And when they heard this they began to go
forth to proclaim and to preach.